April 11thGeneral Meeting Minutes
The French Table
President Michael opened the meeting
Check-in Team: David and Fikriye
Raffle: Steven Chen and Altan
Toast to Queen: Shamir
SKAL Toast: Laurie Barkman Skal Club Winnipeg
- Michael Kaile
- Lisa Jackson has two guests Christine Loden Hotel Manager Granville Island Hotel and Karen Tocher Expedia Area Manager for Western Canada.
- Havey has a guest, Karen Lewis GM Land and Sea Tours
- David has a guest, Martin Leclerc, General Manager of the Westin Bayshore Hotel
- We have a visiting Skal Member from the Winnipeg Club (Laurie Barkman)
- Gordon Chatry has a guest, Pamela
- Shamir has two guests Scott Johnson GM of the Holiday Inn Metrotown & Yassen
- Michael has two guests Nives Mehmedi – Sales Manager & Wilson Lo – Sales & Catering Co-coordinator. May become Young Skal members.
- Ron has a guest – Donna
Welcome to all Guests
Inductions we have three new members:
- Rodrigo Diaz de Rivera Vargas Managing Director for Western Canada- Mexico Tourism Board. David introduced
- Andrew Brownrigg, General Manager of the Best Western Chateau Granville, Altan introduced.
- Ricardo Rojas, Michael Favelle did introduce.
Congratulations to all New Members
Skal Canada Membership Drive Update, please see Ivano for ticket sales tonight.
Moving forward Skal Vancouver will be moving away from drink tickets and towards cash bars. As of the June 2018 Gold Tournament drink tickets will not be sold at the Skål dinners. Starting at the September dinner event cash bars will be available.
Drink tickets will be honored until February of 2019
Tonight I want to recognize our Young Skal Professionals. These Young Skal Professionals aren’t just the leaders of tomorrow; they’re the leaders of today. They are molding our industry and we need to ensure we are providing the support, guidance, and leadership to help continue to rise.
I have asked that each of our Young Skal Members here tonight to talk about what Young Skal means to them and how we can continue to support them in their upward growth.
Altan/Young Skal Members: Altan advised for a detailed overview, please refer to the April Newsletter. Altan spoke about Young Skal who are members of the Vancouver Club. These are our Young Skal, each one was recognized: Altan, Alina Doaga, Ayako Kawamukai, Karim Mohammadi, Matt Taylor, Fikriye Topkaya, Brianne Kelly. Matt Taylor and Karim Mohammadi gave their career experiences and why they joined Young Skal. A very positive presentation by Matt and Karim.
Draw Prizes – Altan and Steven Chen wines and other prizes
- Wine Ricardo
- Wine Brian Veitch
- Wine Zelona
- $50 gift certificate from the French Table, Randy
Grand Prize Draw for 2018, $2500 (this Prize will be drawn at the Christmas Lunch at the Arbutus Club in December
- Kevin Woolliams
- Jim Whyte
- Ricardo Rojas
Congratulations to all of the winners.
Thank you, to Herve and his staff. (Michael Kaile) The food and service was outstanding.
Upcoming Meeting: May 9thCivic Hotel, Surrey – very excited to visit the property and see the operation. A guided tour will be provided.