May 8th 2019 General Meeting Minutes:
Hilton Vancouver Airport Hotel
President Michael welcomed all in attendance for the dinner. He updated us on the NASC Congress in Hawaii. Service and experience as very good, some good key note speakers such as Scott Tatum President & CEO of Tourism Hawaii. Spectacular events; a Luau at Sea Life Park and participation at the International Food & Wine Festival. He will be posting pictures and stories on the facebook page over the next week
Check-in Team: David and Harvey
Raffle: Steven Chen and Kevin
Toast to Queen: Altan
SKAL Toast: Karim
- Sue Daugulis
- Gordon Chatry
- Karen Tocher has a guest
- Shawana Lang, Director of Market Development Tourism Whistler
- David has a guest
- Katarina Polonsky, Canadian Correspondent The Bespoke Black Book
- Michael has a guest
- Larry Ho, General Manager Jericho Tennis Club
Michael welcomed all guests.
Inductions of two Young Skål Members:
Altan introduced Jian Huang and Devaraj Rajagopal. The inductions were completed. Welcome to the Club.
Harvey introduced the 2018 Bill Rowe Memorial Tourism Award. Harvey introduced the past and current profile of the recipient. The award was presented to Steve Halliday a Hospitality Virtuoso. Congratulations from the entire club well deserved (See Harvey’s presentation video HERE)
Harvey spoke to the upcoming Annual Ron Groves Golf Tournament and Steven Chen spoke to the Silent Auction on Friday June 14th at the UBC Golf and Country Club. Please go to the Vancouver Skal Website for the detail. For the silent auction– we are in need of Prizes. David will advise the membership of the need on Thursday. (See Steve’s acceptance video HERE)
Ivano updated us all on the NASC congress in Hawaii.
- Coach presented Altan with a gift from the Young Skållegues from the congress
- Coach presented the MDF winners with their prizes. Two members from our club won prizes (Scott & Kevin combined won the Toronto Experience and Christine won the Quebec Christine Won The Quebec Experience). Coach mentioned how disappointed he was that we were the 2nd highest raffle sales of the country.
- Ivano presented to David Wetsch The President’s Gold Award of Distinction from Skål Canada to the Vancouver Club for 2018. David accepted and thanked the entire Board for their handwork in achieving this award. It is a real team effort.
Draw Prizes – Steven:
- Ricardo: Gift certificate for the Hilton Vancouver Airport Hotel, one night stay including Breakfast
- Ivano: bottle of wine
- Ricardo: bottle of wine
- Barry: NASC 2019 swag bagHawaiian gift package,
Congrats to all of the winners.
Grand Prize Draw for 2019, $2500 (this Prize will be drawn at the Christmas Lunch at the Arbutus Club in December):
- Michael our President
Thank you, to the Hilton Vancouver Airport Hotel:
Michael Kaile spoke to a Great meal and service. Michael did a complete overview on the menu and service. Excellent achievement for the Chef and his team. The service staff were on the mark and did a wonderful job on delivery of the food, etc. The club appreciated their efforts. (See Michael’s thank you video HERE)
June 14th Golf and Dinner at the UBC Golf and Country Club, email reminders to follow