November 13th, General meeting Minutes
Prospect Point Stanley Park
President Michael: Welcomed all to our dinner event
Check-in Team: David and Harvey
Raffle: Kevin and Steven
Toast to Queen: Morgan
SKAL Toast: Christine
November Birthday: Ron Waterhouse. Happy Birthday Ron from all of us.
Membership: Michael reminded us we have a need for New Members. So please invite guests to our upcoming meetings.
- Christine has two guests: Kanat(Ken) Kantman GM of the Pacifica/Peninsula Sienna Senior Living and Anthony Woo Travel Click
- Chris has a guest Ed Jaskula
- Thomas has a guest his wife Sarah
- Dikran has a guest his wife Sandra
- Ivano introduced Nazmi Kamal who introduced 11 students & 2 instructors; Jeff Anthony, Cheryl Hurlburt from Capilano University. Jessica and Priscilla have been approved as Young Skal members by Skal Intl and will be inducted in December.
Welcome to all Young Skal guests and instructors.
- David introduced Thomas and President
- Michael introduced Dikran
Welcome to the Club and we are very pleased you have joined.
Skal Canada Update: Ivano announced the 2020 National Raffle; if you want to donate a prize please send to Ivano soon. Christine was a winner last year. The prize she won was a fantastic package to Quebec City, she explained in detail. So please everyone should purchase a raffle ticket for 2020- more info to follow. The 2020 North American Skal Congress will be held in Winnipeg April 30 to May 2nd Ivano explained in detail the agenda. Any further updates from Skal Canada will be posted on the Vancouver Skal website.
Coach updated everyone on items from the Fall Board Meeting 2019
- Hamilton is now known as the Hamilton – Niagara Club
- Ottawa should have a club soon. Meeting with other Clubs and Skal Canada are in the works
- Okanagan is a good possibility in 2020-2021. A golf tourney will be held in Kelowna in 2020 with the following clubs showing interest and involvement. Calgary, Edmonton, Canadian Rockies, Vancouver, and Victoria. Great way to showcase and promote Skal in the Okanagan.
- We currently have 14530 members in 357 Clubs in 85 Nations. Anticipating that we level off at about 15,000 members.
- Canada has 726 members in 17 Clubs
- Vancouver with 58 is #3 in membership behind Quebec City 100, Canadian Rockies 75
- Toronto membership is sitting at 55 and Victoria is at an outstanding 53 members.
- Canadian Rockies Bill Rheaume is currently VP Skal International and may run for Skal International President for 2021. This election will be held at World Congress in Croatia October 15-20, 2020.
- Quebec City Rep Jean Pelletier has been elected Skal Canada President for 2020.
- NASC 2020 will be held in Winnipeg April 29- May 02. Costs are reasonable and subsidies are available. Please give your support by attending this Congress and show the world what we as Canadians are all about.
- Canadian Fall Board meeting will be held in Halifax at the Fox Harb’r Resort, hosted by our very own Skal member Kevin Toth.
- Instagram and twitter accounts are set up as Skal Canada President (not a personal account) so it may be passed on to future Canadian Presidents.
- We have now purchased new Skal stretch tablecloth, Free standing backdrop, free standing teardrop. Which will be on display.
- View testimonials on the Skal Canada website. Create your own.
Draw Prizes: Kevin and Steven Chen. The prizes are two bottles of wine and a $50 Gift Certificate to the Prospect Point Café.
- Harvey winner of the Prospect Winery red wine
- Scott Johnson, wine
- Christine winner of the Gift Certificate
Congratulation’s to all winners
Grand Prize Draw for 2019 $2500 at the Christmas Lunch at the Arbutus Club on December 11th:
- Scott Johnson
- Young Skal member Devaraj
The Grand Prize draw will be on Dec. 11th
Thank you to the team: Ricardo thanked the Restaurant and kitchen for a job well done.
Next meeting: will be our annual Christmas Lunch at the Arbutus Club Dec. 11th.